Thursday, October 11, 2007

Chicken stock into the freezer

I roasted a chicken from Greenacres on Monday. We had chicken for dinner Monday night, and last night I made chili with the leftovers. Today from the carcass I made stock for the freezer.

CHICKEN STOCK

Place giblets, heart, and neck (I'd frozen these Sunday night when I brined the chicken) along with the carcass into a large stockpot. Add 1 T each allspice berries and peppercorns. Add a couple of cloves of garlic, a couple of bay leaves, and a piece of ginger. If there are any aging onions, carrots, celery in the pantry or fridge, add those. Fill with water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 - 2 hours, adding more water to cover when necessary. Strain and cool, then chill before freezing.

I got 18 cups of stock from this week's chicken, all frozen in 2-cup quantities. This will keep for several months in the freezer.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Locavore, Yes, it is Tofts in Ohio. Their milk and ice cream is irresistible to me! I know, you can really eat the cottage cheese like there is no tomorrow! I love going to Sandusky and I really love the local foods the area has to offer.

valereee said...

Lannae, I thought it had to be Tofts! I wish they were distributed this far south (we're about 200 miles from Sandusky) but I think the furthest south I've seen them is Dayton. Oh, yeah, Tofts ice cream -- don't even get me started on Moose Tracks. Fortunately I'm not a huge ice cream eater. I can take it or leave it. It's cottage cheese I can't resist. Yes, my family thinks this is deeply weird.

Unknown said...

LOL! Yeah, wanting cottage cheese over ice cream is a bit unusual in most circles :) But, hey, I can look at it this way, if we are ever both up at Tofts at the same time, you can eat all the cottage cheese and I can eat all the ice cream (ok, you can have a bite of my moose tracks), and we can just be totally fat and happy afterwards!

I think not being able to get Tofts where I live makes it even that more special when I go to Sandusky!