Thursday, April 16, 2009

More Backyard Chickens

Suddenly everyone wants chickens in their backyard. Everyone except my 14-year-old daughter, that is. Backyard chickens would be the frosting on her cake of parental embarrassments.

Turner Farm is offering Chickens in Your Own Backyard, a one-hour informational session for those interested in raising backyard chickens. Turner's chicken expert, Mike Steele, will discuss choosing breeds, housing options, feed, hygiene, and more. Thursday April 23rd at 6:00pm, followed by a question-and-answer session. Registration is $6, reservations are required. Call 561-7400 or email Turner.


Brian said...

Valerie, have you made your readers aware of this event tomorrow?

valereee said...

Brian, I can't seem to get it to open -- what event is it?

JimB said...

There is an article in today's Dayton Daily News about this. Two Chickens in every pot - just not in your back yard !

Judge: City can ban pet chickens

valereee said...

Jim, thanks for the link. It really is annoying that we've gotten ourselves to the point we aren't even ALLOWED to try to produce our own food. I can understand not wanting goats or pigs next door, but a couple of hens?

We need to change these laws. Anyone with a back yard ought to be able to keep a couple of chickens if they like. My own town (Montgomery) forbids them, too. For me it's a moot point, as my daughter would DIE of embarrassment if I kept chickens. But Montgomery, I'm putting you on notice: Jane leaves for college in 2012.