Wednesday, April 30, 2008

President Bush: Eat Local Foods

In yesterday's press conference, George W. Bush recommended Americans and the world eat more locally:

One thing I think that would be -- I know would be very creative policy is if we -- is if we would buy food from local farmers as a way to help deal with scarcity, but also as a way to put in place an infrastructure so that nations can be self-sustaining and self-supporting. It's a proposal I put forth that Congress hasn't responded to yet, and I sincerely hope they do.
Wow! I agree with the President. That's a new experience for me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, that locovoure thing was all my idea! How pathetic and embarrassing.

Kale for Sale said...

I thought you were making this up but I see that you're not. I don't trust him but if his words are taken at face value, yes, I would agree with him too.

valereee said...

Kale for sale, I know! I couldn't believe it. Not sure exactly what he's referring to when he says he put forth a proposal to congress. Any clue?

Westwind Eirene said...

George is good at lip service. He'll never actually buy local himself because he'll never have to buy groceries.

And I don't think he would propose a similar thing for say, Haiti, who used to grow their own food before the US demanded that they import our rice and sugar if they wanted government loans. Hi idea is that local is good for strapped Americans, but bad for corporate agriculture.

Anne said...

I am still giggling over this post. I think it is the first time I have agreed with the Dubya as well.

Kale for Sale said...

I'm still trying to figure out what he was talking about.

Kale for Sale said...

I had to figure this out and found this article that puts Bush's recent comment in context. Basically American Aid is currently given primarily in the form of corporate commidities (a dumping ground as some say) and Bush's proposal is to give monetary aid for crops to be purchased near where they are needed - or locally. Again, on the surface an idea that makes complete sense. But as I don't trust him I wonder if this isn't his way to subsidize new markets for Monsanto and others to sell gmo seeds and ever increasing amounts of pesticides to grow them.