Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Retrovores

As Michael Pollan recommends in his newest book In Defense of Food, "Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food." Which brings us to a newly-coined word for those who eat the way Grandma used to: Retrovore

It's a great concept, carrying implications of beyond-organic, beyond-sustainable, beyond-unrefined, beyond chemical-free. It implies eating mostly local seasonal foods and a developing a habit of home preserving. And unlike the term 'locavore' it doesn't reject the inclusion of trade-goods, such as tea, coffee, chocolate, spices, olive oil, citrus. And it's intuitive, with little inherent controversy over nitpicky questions such as 'how local is local?' to ease the way for those who fret over whether or not they can still drink coffee. I don't know whether it will be any more palatable to those who scoff at the idea of locavorism, but I like it.

12 comments:

Veggie Option said...

I like it too. :)

Anonymous said...

Only problem is your grandmother used a ton of sugar, fat and white flour.

Unknown said...

^and what is wrong with fat? I'd rather use lard than Crisco anyday.

Anonymous said...

I mean, if we have to be labeled, right.

Sean F. said...

I think Pollen's idea encapsulates what is appealing to many people about locavorism without forcing them to give up family traditions they hold dear.

For example, I have been eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches since I was little (straight from grandma's kitchen), one reason why I could never be a strict locavore. But, if I could be more like my grandmother, I would certainly find myself buying more locally and buying more seasonally.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog today (via Julie's "wine me dine me," and I've really enjoyed reading. I'll be sure to check back.

Anonymous said...

"Only problem is your grandmother used a ton of sugar, fat and white flour."

They did, and my Grandparents lived to 86 & 92; Great-Grandparents 90 & 94......

valereee said...

Rich, and I bet they weren't overweight, either.

Anonymous said...

I am a big Pollen fan although I have not read this new one yet, but sugar, fat and white flour are not good for you no matter how long your grandma lived. Sugar should be avoided, it screws with insulin levels big time,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Blues

White flour is missing the two most nutritious and fiber-rich parts of the seed: the outside bran layer and the germ.

http://www.womenfitness.net/ugly_truths.htm

In general refined food is bad for you, it is hard for the body to process and screws with your insulin levels.

Fat, in my vies is not as bad as sugar and white flour but still should be limited, it adds a lot to taste, heck I pigged out on shortribs on Friday and porkchops last night and yes refried beans are best with lard.

valereee said...

Vudutu, I'll agree with you about the sugar and flour, but not the fat. More and more researchers are finding that fat, as it naturally occurs in foods, is not bad for you and may actually be good for you.

Anonymous said...

Canned tuna, english muffins, fig newtons, evaporated milk, and Campbells' tomato soup... my grandma was a scholar, not a cook ;)

valereee said...

Anonymous, LOL! Sounds like you need to go back to what your great-grandmother was eating! Although I suspect the things on your grandmother's list were also available to her mother.